Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Just Sayin

Today I filed my taxes using H&R Block software. It was a long and arduous journey to complete them. I can safely say that I will look at almost any other software product other than H&R in the future.

The entire process has been frustrating. We had software installation issues and then in the process of preparing my return we fell into a unique exception to the rules. I wasn't familiar with the particular rule so I called support thinking that it was a software glitch rather than an exception. I got four wrong answers from support before I figured out my issue myself.

Their customer service emails asking you to rate their service had a component that asked if you would like to talk with someone about your issue. I conveyed that I did in three of the responses I gave them. I am still waiting for that call.

Finally (actually firstly and finally), the price of the software initially looked the same as last year (perhaps a very modest increase), but the cost of the software did not include one state as it had in years past and did not include e-file with the state that you purchased. The two additional costs for purchasing state and e-filing added an additional $40 to the total cost of the software.

To prepare my own taxes and doing my own tax law research I had to pay as much as I would have been willing to pay a professional. In terms of stewardship, I don't think that this product is a good use of money. I can go back to using paper forms if I have to.

I will forgive H&R for the mistreatment of my pocketbook and go on with life, but I don't think they will see a repeat customer from me anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I work for H&R Block's Social Media team. We saw your post and wanted to be sure and reach out to you. That sounds like a really frustrating experience you've had. Your situation is unfortunate because we missed the real opportunities you gave us to be of assistance. However, we would like to speak to you about making good on our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, as well as addressing any concerns you may have about our program and working to regain your trust. Please send us a message at email address hrblockanswers@hrblock.com so we can further assist. Thank you, Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that H&R Block contacted me shortly after this original post and offered to allow me to try the product for the 2011 tax season for free. I did use their software and had no issues at all this year.

    I should have posted this update much sooner, my apolgies to H&R Block as I should have cleared their name after giving them such a poor review last year.

    I did not use their customer service this year, (didn't have to). If you need to buy a tax product to create your taxes, I would try H&R again.

    Thank you to H&R for taking my comments seriously and reaching out as you did.

    ReplyDelete