Thursday, November 1, 2012

Genesis 16 - Sarah and Hagar

More than once I have heard people tell me that if I belong to God, He won't let me pursue a wrong course of action. He will stop it or he won't allow it to be successful. In the passage we find just the opposite to be true. We also see the contrast of the unbelief of the believer and the belief of the unbeliever.

Sarah was no doubt God's chosen vessel to bear the heir to Abraham. We know this because we have read further in the Bible than Sarah had at that time. Sarah had obviously been pondering how God's promise might come to pass and thought she had stumbled on a solution - let her servant bear a child for her. Abram the great man of faith who had received the promise directly from the word of the Almighty was quick to go along with the plan. No prayer needed - obvious solution.

Yet God allowed this unholy union and wove this into the fabric of his story. I think this is an awesome warning for all of us. We never know what short cut to God's plan awaits us, but dear friend, please pray first and look for an answer before leaping in. There may be for you a solution to your financial strain or relief from a conflict that would cause you to deviate from God's plan for your life. Only God knows your future so ask for his leading in decisions.

Sarah and Abram were the believers fine awry in this story. Now let's look at Hagar. She is an Egyptian who was no doubt given to Abram as he left Egypt. She doesn't come from a life of faith but is placed in the household of two believers. She is obedient to her mistress - at first. Once a baby enters the picture Hagar becomes haughty and loses respect for Sarah. When Sarah demanded more and became harsh- she ran away.

Now contrary to Sarah's poor choice that saw no intervention from God to stop her, we do see God intervening here to send Hagar back home. She herself receives a promise that her descendants will be numerous but they will live amid conflict all their days. What a hard word to hear and yet she returns and gives birth to Ishmael.

Dear friend, God has given each of his children free will to choose our allegiances. He is also faithful when we confess our faithless acts and return to him. God didn't remove the results of this sin - in fact they continue today middle eastern conflict. But we can know forgiveness and we can make a fresh start.

Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive my failures to look to you for guidance when I thought I had a workable plan. My desire is to please you in every circumstance. Thank you for your faithfulness to me even when my faith is weak. As I go out today please keep my focus on you so that I can walk in a way that pleases you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment