Friday, November 22, 2013

Exodus 39 - Standing up to Inspection

It is one thing to do a job according to our own standards, (we might have very good standards and do a fine job) but it is an entirely different thing to follow God's high standards and then have your work critiqued. 

When we set our own standards there is no room for criticism since the level of excellence was defined by us in the first place. Actually, isn't that our preference? We want to design our own level of excellence so that no one can criticize - then we want to criticize others for not adhering to our standards. But, in this chapter, God sets the standards, the Israelites do the work, then Moses is sent to inspect and judge the work before dedicating it to God. I can think of no higher level of excellence. 

Moses goes through the tabernacle piece by piece to make sure that God's directions were followed. It reminds me that the Bible gives us God's instructions for our own lives. Obedience is the only measure of excellence and one day Christ will judge our work before dedicating it back to God. How will we stand up?  In the case of the Israelites, their work was found to be just as Gid commanded and Moses blessed the work. 

I would like to think that my work would be found excellent in the Lord's judgment, but I know my meager attempts are poor. When I commit my ways to The Lord and ask him for his help and guidance, I find that my obedience combines with His greatness to produce "God moments" in my life; turns of events I could have never predicted and results greater than I ever imagined. 

My friend, as you commit your ways to obedience, I trust and pray that your efforts will bear much fruit for God's glory. 

May God richly bless you as you seek Him and as you serve Him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment