Friday, July 31, 2015

Joshua 24 - Everyone Serves

No matter who we are, we serve under a leader. Some may choose to serve self, some serve materialism, some serve fame and some serve other gods with a variety of names. We are all driven to serve the God of our choosing. Joshua challenges Israel to "choose this day who you will serve". 

Israel had not always been faithful to God, but Joshua outlines the many ways God has been faithful to His people from the time He called Abraham out of the land of his fathers.  Joshua calls Israel to remember their history. God watches over Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. 

When they were in Egypt, God saw the oppression and delivered them by afflicting the Egyptians and protecting them by miraculous interventions. When they arrived East of the Jordan, God himself fought on their behalf and overcame the Amorites.  

God has demonstrated His faithfulness through the ages. As I think back one own life I know that to be true. Like the Israelites I have not always been faithful. Each day I am challenged as I open my Bible  to choose this day who I will serve. I am challenged to make a memorial of my commitment to remind me to whom I belong. 

God longs for his people to did contentment in Him. Will we be headstrong and defiantly go our own way or will we choose to make our life count and live in faithful service?  Josh 24:14 should be the challenge we all take. "Fear the Lord and serve Him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods you used to worship and serve the Lord". A good word for us all. 

May God richly bless you as you seek Him and as you serve Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment