Thursday, June 11, 2009

God's Role in our Finances

When I first became a Christian, I didn't know much about scripture. I had attended Sunday School and church, but most of what I knew came through the funnel of someone else who had studied the Bible and spent time personally with the Lord. I knew enough to know that I needed a Savior and that my life was not what it could be and certainly didn't have the contentment that I saw in others who were teaching me.


I really didn't become engaged in any serious Bible study until I found that someone else's relationship with the Lord was insufficient and found worldly practices having greater influence on me than the Spirit.


It was Larry Burkett who helped me understand that Scriptural principles are not merely intellectual exercises but are very practical and influence our choices and are evidence of the Lord's control of our lives. It was from his radio program that I was first challenged to consider how my actions reflect what I say I believe.

When his ministry merged with Crown, I took Crown's Bible Study. The very first thing that struck me was the biggest financial stresses in my life are issues that God should have control over. We systematically looked at the role God plays.

1. He is in control of everything: He controls our circumstances, our jobs, our family, our leaders, everything. Consider 1 Chron 29:11-12 Everything in the heavens and earth is yours O Lord, and this is your kingdom. We adore you as being in control of everything. Riches and honor come from you alone and you are the ruler of all mankind. Your hand controls power and might and it is at your discretion that men are made great and given strength.

2. He is our provider: our provision doesn't come from our own effort, but from God's blessing. He gives the opportunity and our responsibility is to be faithful in acting on the opportunities given. In Philippians 4:19, he has promised to supply all our needs according to his riches in glory.

3. God has unlimited resources: He owns everything. The cattle on 1000 hills are his, the gold and the silver is his. The world and all that is in it is his. (Ps 50: 10-12)

4. God cares for his people: Over and over through scripture we see that God takes care of his own; sometimes even supernaturally. We can trust that if we belong to him, he will not let us out of his hand. Consider Romans 8:28 For I know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose"

5. God's ways aren't ours: So often we like to tell God how we would like him to provide for our needs, but his ways are not ours. We are told that as far as the heavens are above the earth so are God's ways higher than ours. God doesn't always provide exactly like we think he ought to, but we can trust that his way is best even if we don't understand.

6. God is greater than any problem we face: Jeremiah confirmed in 32:17 that Nothing is too difficult for you.

7. God disciplines us to keep us from sin and to develop our character into the likeness of Christ. Not all the circumstances in our lives are pleasant, but we can trust that he has a plan even in the hardest circumstances to develop our character and increase our faith and trust in him as our God.

Are you in a situation bigger than you? It isn't too big for God. Do you not see a way to resolve your financial headaches? Look to God, his plan may be something you never would have considered on your own. Is the stress of your situation stealing your peace? Consider how God may be using this for your development and find peace in knowing that he will see you through even the most difficult of circumstances.

May God richly bless you as you seek him and as you serve him!

No comments:

Post a Comment